Caring For Your Solid Wood Furniture
Long term care of your solid wood furniture can be achieved by following these suggestions:
- Maintain an indoor humidity range of 30% to 40%.
- Do not place furniture directly in front of radiators, heating vents, or wood burning stoves.
- Immediately wipe away liquid spills with a clean cloth and wipe in the direction of the grain.
- To clean, use a soft cotton cloth and wipe in the direction of the grain. The cloth should be dry, with no cleaners, waxes or oils. Waxes, oils and other household cleaners may leave a residue that builds up over time and dulls the finish.
- To deep clean, we recommend using a mild cleaning solution of water and a small amount of mild dish detergent. Mix well. Use a soft, slightly damp, cloth to wipe the table top in the direction of the grain. Rinse the cloth with clean water. Wipe the table again with the slightly damp, clean cloth. Immediately dry the surface with a soft dry cloth.
- Avoid using table pedestals and chair stretches as footrest.
- Avoid scratches by lifting objects rather than dragging them across surfaces.
- We do not recommend using a piece of glass cut to cover wooden table top surfaces. Without proper air circulation the table top can crack or warp especially when the glass covered table top is exposed to direct sunlight.
- Do not place laptops, hot or wet items directly on table tops. Use coasters or thick placemats, trivets to protect against scorch or water marks, scratches, dings or dents. We recommend using a table pad for extra protection against excessive heat and moisture and to prevent scratches and dents. Custom table pads can be ordered at Geddes Furniture.
Table pads are designed to protect your table against heat, spills, scratches, nicks, and accidental damage by serving pieces as hot as 500°F. Each is custom made to fit your table. The vinyl top is moisture resistant and easy to clean, while a soft velour bottom rests on the table top. Hidden magnets built into the table pad hold all table pad sections together. Table leaf storage bags are also available for purchase.